Wednesday, December 30, 2009

GoML Dolls










Here is my collection of Girls of Many Lands dolls. Each GoML is about nine inches tall and came with a book about her life and time period she lived in.

These one-outfi,t collectible display dolls were aimed at girls about 12 and older. They did not last long.

I have each one in a GoML case that you could gte for them, which I would suggest because otherwise they'll get dusty and that is gross.

I got my first one, Neela, as a present from my sister for Christmas and shortly after the line was discontinued so all the dolls prices were significantly lowered (they were originally around fifty dollars, then went half price, and eventually only about twelve dollars) as American Girl needed to get them out of the warehouses where they were taking up space.

Now you can buy them on ebay but that's it.

They made eight dolls in all.
The first five (Isabel, Cecil, Minuk, Neela, and Spring Pearl) were introduced and then three were added later (Layla, Kathleen, and Saba).

My isabel picture kept coming out fuzzy nomatter how many times I took it. I guess she is camera shy. :)

Here are the time periods and stuff:

Saba, in the white outfit, is from Ethiopa in 1846. Her book is called
"Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot" and it is by Jane Kurtz.

Kathleen, in the green irish outfit, is from Ireland in 1937. Her book is called "Kathleen: The Celtic Knot" and it is by Siobhan Parkinson.

Layla, in the red and gold outfit with her hair down, is from Turkey in 1720. her book is called "Leyla: The Black Tulip" and it is by Alev Lytle Croutier.

Neela, in the orange oufit, is from India in 1939. Her book is called "Neela: Victory Song" and it is by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.

Spring Pearl, in green and pink, is from China in 1857. her book is "Spring Pearl: The Last Flower" and it is by Laurence Yep.

Minuk, in fur, is from Alaska in 1890. Her book is called, "Minuk: Ashes in the Pathway" and it is by Kirkpatrick Hill.

Isabel, in the huge maroon dress, is from England in 1592. Her book is called "Isabel: Taking Wing" and it is by Annie Dalton.

Cecile is wearing bright blue and she is from France in 1711. Her book is called "Cecile: Gates of Gold" and it is by Mary Casanova.

My favorite book was Neela (India 1939). I also liked Kathleen (Ireland 1937) and Isabel (England 1592). Oh and Spring Pearl (China 1857) too. The others I thought were hard to get through, especially Cecile (France 1711).

I love the GoMLs and they are so pretty. I thought it was too bad they didn't sell well at first and AG got rid of them so quickly. I would have liked to have seen more of them.

I think the most sought after and harder to find on ebay seems to be Kathleen. She really is a pretty doll with nice hair.

I can't pick a favorite doll because they are all so nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment