Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Christmas I'll Never Forget

I'll never forget this Christmas, when a member of AGFMB sent me a wonderful nightgown, teddy bear, and blanket that she had made for my doll Cambria Angel. Not only the thoughtfulness of the gift itself, but also the time and energy spent carefully handcrafting these items- for someone she doesn't even know in person, and who she has no obligation to give anything to. This is the sort of thing that shows you that there are good and kind people in the world, almost like angels themselves. I was surprised to, out of the blue, get a package in the mail and find that someone from AGFMB had sent a Christmas present for us (me and Cambria Angel). I was astonished at the gift card which came with a note that said please use this to find a friend for Cambria Angel (see my next blog post, where you will meet Kincaid). As if the gift card wasn't a huge enough gift, the nightgown, bear, and blanket were there as well. Cambria LOVES her precious gift, and so do I. Let me tell you just why I do...
My grandma died when I was younger but before then she used to make doll clothes for my American Girl doll. Not too many, as other things kept her busy, but I do have a few outfits. Some of them she even let me design, and as I got older she let me help her sew them as well. There aren't really too many because she died, but I treasure the ones I have and always will. As I opened this nightgown, bear, and blanket, it reminded me so much of grandma that I almost felt like whoever sent me this package had sent my grandma to me in the mail! The nightie, so carefully made, was just like hers, with the teeny little stitches, always perfectly even, and the nightgown's eyelet fabric and puffed sleeve design were just what she would have done. The bear reminded me of the pillows and stuffed animals and raggedy ann dolls she used to make. The blanket was just like to crocheted blankets she made for our beds. Everything was exactly as grandma would have made them for me, and I just want to say to YOU- whoever you are, whoever gave these precious things to me- I just want you to know that giving them to me was like giving my grandmother back to me.


1 comment:

  1. Aww, Cambria Angel is darling! I love her pretty new nightgown and blanket. :)

    Laura

    ReplyDelete