Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Other Dolls



The doll above is Marie, the porcelin doll that my grandpa gave to my grandma for a gift. She left it to me when she died because she and I both have the same middle name Marie. My grandma's name was Maggie Marie and my name is Brooke Marie. My grandma liked fancy dolls a lot because she grew up during the Great Depression and could not have any dolls when she was a little girl, so when she was old she liked to get fancy dolls and she displayed them in different places in her house and this one was put next to the big clock in her living room. She is prettier in person than she is in this photo.



Above is the doll I won in a contest. It was from a beauty pageant and they picked me to win the doll so I was so excited. I don't remember when it was exactly or what year it was or anything, but it must have been held in January some year because I remember the pageant contest was called January Doll.



Above is a doll that my Great Aunt Sarah sent me from Florida. She got my older sister some jewelry and me a doll. This is the doll. I was really excited that she got her. It was very nice.


Above is the very first porcelin doll I got and it was a gift to me from my grandparents for Christmas when I was about seven years old. I thought she was very special and I played with her a lot but very carefully. Her name is Brooke which is why my grandparents chose her because my name is Brooke too. I think she kind of looks like Anne of Green Gables, don't you? Actually that straw hat did not come with her but I put it on her. I am kind of sad because my dog got it recently and chewed it up but at craft stores there are lots of plain straw hats of all different sizes so I am going to look for another one.

The doll above is a doll I got on vacation in Haiti. When I got home a little piece of paint chipped off her nose. She is hand made and pretty fragile. The women there make dolls and sell them at the market. It is weird to think of Haiti as having natural disasters because when we went there it was a long time before that happened and everything looked pretty and okay. The above doll is a doll I got on vacation in Colonial Williamsburg (in Virginia). She is a cloth doll and her name is Sarah and she comes with a little booklet telling about her life in the colonial times. She is wearing a bonnet, shift, dress, apron, cloak, and shoes. There are other outfits and stuff you could buy to go along with her like a dress and duck and basket, but I didn't get them because it would have ended up costing a bunch, so I just got the doll and not all the other outfits.



The above are my cloth Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy dolls that my grandma made for me. She made the same dolls for all of us and each set had slightly different outfits (different color, different pattern etc) but all the dolls were the same. She made a set for me, my sister, and my cousin and maybe more sets too but I don't remember. They are very special because she made them for us herself. The most special part is this: on the dolls chest right where the heart would be, she stitched a red heart there and she stitched "I Love You" on the dolls heart. My grandma loved us a lot.

























No comments:

Post a Comment